Translate this page into your language

Thursday 31 July 2014

Boots galore! (Horse boots reference pictures)

I've made many an attempt at making boots, and I have one pair that actually worked, and that was Schleich scale. After I've made Totilas's tack, I might use some of the buckles left over to make some boots for him. I've got some reference pictures so while I'm thinking up the tutorial you can see what kind of boots you could make!

Over reach boots. They are great if a model horse is trotting or walking and they look like they are about to kick themselves in the back of the heel. Best fastened with a Velcro tab, as in real life they can  flip up and then offer no protection whatsoever.


Show jumping boots. Open fronted so the horse can still feel if they've hit a jump. Protection all around for maximum protection.

Reining skid boots. When a Western horse performs a sliding stop, they are likely to kick themselves in the back of the heel. They are pretty much the Western equivalent of the over reach boot, just these offer more protection.

Bandages. The old fashioned thing when all in one boots weren't around. Often a pad of Gamgee with a thick bandage, designed for exercise. They are still great, just take a lot more time as they require care and perseverance, and modern boots are just Velcro.

Brushing boots. They are designed to protect the inside of the horse's lower leg, as some horses can often kick their legs together and cause serious tendon injuries. 

I hope these reference pictures will help you. Please comment below, if I get positive comments I'll do lots more!

No comments:

Post a Comment