Translate this page into your language

Friday 1 August 2014

Show jumping or open fronted boots tutorial

Hi! After the reference pictures yesterday, I thought making a boots tutorial would be nice. I am doing it on Totilas, so it will be a bigger scale. If you are doing it below traditional scale, then you can adapt the tutorial for just one Velcro strap or something like that. I'll take you through one boot, so you can use the tutorial for one more, or all four if you like! Anyway...

You will need:
Leather
Velcro
Craft foam (or other colour or kind of leather)
A model horse of any scale
Glue gun or reliable glue

Let's get started:

1. Take your leather and cut out the pattern in the picture below.

2. Check the fit of the boot on the horse, for example Totilas' is a little bit too wide. Trim it down if needed. 
3. Take your craft foam and cut a wide strip which fits in the groove of the boot like this:
4. Wrap the craft foam strip in thin leather, and make sure it is tight. Then glue the back of it on to the middle of the boot, so the bit with the slight dip is covered. Look to the picture below.
5. Cut two strips of elastic and glue them on to the left of the protection piece like this:
6. Glue the spiky side of the Velcro on to the end of the straps, making sure that the Velcro faces the other direction, like this:

7. Glue the fuzzy side of the Velcro on the other side of the boot. Line the straps and the fuzzy Velcro up. 
8. And you're finished! Make another boot and you'll have two!

Thank you for looking at this tutorial. Sorry about the picture quality! Please comment, so I know how I'm doing! See you tomorrow for another tutorial! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, please comment so I can see how I'm doing! I think this is my best tutorial out of the ones I've done - what do you think?
    :)

    ReplyDelete